How to see donors realistically
Sometimes it helps to make a promise to keep yourself on the right path. Well, here's a good one for you: Fundraising consultant Tom Ahern has created The Donor-Centric Pledge for fundraisers.
It's a long and comprehensive statement of beliefs for fundraisers. Here are just a few of them. Fundraisers should believe...
3. That no one "owes" us a gift just because our mission is worthy.
14. That donors want to make a difference in the world -- and that our mission is one of many means to that end.
17. That individual donors respond to our appeals for personal reasons we can only guess at.
19. That fundraising serves the donors' emotional needs as much as it serves the organization's financial needs.
20. That we are in the "feel good" business. Donors feel good when they help make the world a better place.
Go see the whole thing. It's a refreshing way to think about how we can do better work by serving donors better.
(See also the Donor Power Pledge (download PDF).